Monday, September 29, 2014

Letter Project Reflection

1. Describe your process when creating your letter project. How was the process helpful or not so helpful to you?
I found writing down ideas and sketching thumbnail pictures very helpful because I was able to get the ideas down on paper first before fully starting on the project. Brainstorming allowed me to expand off of smaller ideas I initially had. Also, the peer commenting from the table and the class allowed me to see what other people thought was cool. And lastly, the two drafts helped with finalizing my ideas for the final draft.
One of two drafts: without and with color
2. How did you arrive with your concept/ idea for you letter? How did you represent this concept visually in your design? (Give 2 examples)
I kind of already knew that I wanted a mash up of letters for my final design. As I sketched possible variations of the mash ups, I found that adding color made it fun and childlike. So my final concept is sort of the elementary style kind of art (if that makes any sense what-so-ever). I wanted to represent this concept by using bright colors and sketchy shading on the main Z's. The little z's were to create a messy sort of look. 

3. What was the most challenging aspect of this project for you? Why?
I think the most challenging part of this project was the drawing of the little z's. I had to make sure each z was angles in different directions, mashed together well, and not having the same colors next to each other in each individual z. it was also because I had o draw so many of them... The little z's took me two class periods to finish drawing and a third period to finish the color. I also had to make sure that I did not mess up, since I was using pen... I did not want to use pencil because then I would have to redraw everything over in pen.

Sneak Peek: Process
The start of coloring ><
Sure is tedious :/
Almost there! ^^
4. Are you satisfied with you project? Explain your answer.
HOME RUN! XD
Honestly, I am not completely satisfied with my project. After adding all the color in, I noticed that there was a lot a pink on the top and bottom of the Z. There wasn't much pink in the middle diagonal of the Z but I guess it looks okay because the pink in the Z is symmetrically even. Other than that, the Z is basically what I pictured in my head and what I drew in my drafts.


5.  If you can change anything about your design, what would you change or do differently?
If I could change anything, I think I would want to test out different font types of the letter z and mash that up together... For example, I'll have Zs from New Times Roman, Ariel, and Cursive types... I would also like to have different sizes/ thickness of Zs (so like bold and italics). I think I would do this on the computer so it comes out very neatly :)

14 comments:

  1. Why did you originally choose Z?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I chose Z mostly because it's included in my name, lol. If you knew my full name, I actually have a lot of other not-used-as-much letters (like U, X, and Y).

      Delete
  2. Sitting by you as you work, I have seen the hardship and time that you dedicated on getting the exact measurements done for your letter. In the end I say your worked paid off. I like the colors you've added it makes the design fun and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my opinion, I think your design was one of the more interesting ones because there's so much going on (in a good way) and the fact that there's a certain type of noise and loudness to it makes it all the more interesting. I actually see some kind of vibrations due to the pencil coloring and the more vibrant colors. However, one suggestion I would make is to make the diagonal or the middle part of the Z thicker so that it looks a little more balanced and that the whole design would have the same weight (if that makes sense).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make sense, LOL. But, yeah. I agree that the middle should have been thicker. I was just a little scared of doing so because the little zs take so much time... I didn't want to restart if I messed up :O.

      Delete
  4. Hi Suzanneeeeeee :O Ur letter project reminds me of an elementary school project design. It's not a bad things that it is "elementary school" im just saying how this project is simple on top of simple :P #notabadthing. I think that if u can remake your project, I think that you should put less repetition and perhaps expand a bit more for the letter using different shapes/objects.

    Here is a question: What do you look forward to when you watch a youtube video>>?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about using different shape/ objects. Like I said above, I wanted to change my project by using different font types of the letter Z so that it would feel more mashed up than having the Zs look uniformed.

      Regarding your question, I guess... humor? Or something that strikes me as interesting... If you make more videos, I'll subscribe, lol.

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love your design!! Especially your choice of colors and how it showed a constrast between the colorfulness of the little "z"s and the dull gray of the big z. It's really unique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's interesting how the all the colors hide the individual z's, unless it's just me... But nonetheless, all of the z's fit perfectly to create the bigger z

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's impressive how precise and detailed everything is! It's so neat and super linear (which for me is satisfying). I could see how you used a ruler by glancing over a couple of times and it's crazy the amount of attention you put into it and it paid off! Also the little zs from far look fuzzy which even enhances the larger one. It's awesome, z-inception!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can really tell how much time and energy you put into this project. I love the colors, and it definitely woke me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I looked carefully I could see how each of the little Z's are in different directions and all different colors. I feel like you really showed the sound that a Z makes into your project and I can almost feel your project saying "zzzzzzzzz". It's so cool and I feel like I can look at it all day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think making the Z out of all the smaller Z's was a creative idea and I like your choice of adding color to the smaller ones while making the large ones one consistent color. This looks really detailed and well done and I think you did a good job with making sure the color was even throughout. You were also really thorough in showing your process and it's interesting to see how it developed and the steps you took in detail. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your design look so cool and neat! But it seems like a lot of work to write the little z's inside the big Z's in all different colors. The smaller letters are so straightly and neatly lined up to create the overal letter design.

    ReplyDelete